Monday 10 December 2012

A Magical Day without The Drama - Just 5 Weeks Until the Next Show!

Guest Post by Gentle Visions Photography

The chance to shoot a wedding show at a theatre was not something I could turn down as it combines two areas of photography I'm passionate about weddings and performing arts.
I was also curious to have a good look around the new theatre and document the first wedding fair it has hosted in conjunction with Ice The Cake.

Sue, who had orchestrated the whole event asked me to turn up early in the morning - standard practice if you are setting up a stand to display your wares - but to capture photographs of the show - at the time I thought it a little odd, but I went along with it.
In the car I'm listening to the local radio show Mix 96 and they are talking up this great show - I'm on my way.  

It's a lovely morning so I'm glad to be up and about with my camera.  I park up across the street and already 20 minutes before the doors open to the public people are starting to gather.

I enter via the stage door and gain some insight into what to expect later - this is not just a wedding fair in a theatre it is a wedding show.  As I walk along a rabbit warren style corridor - some of the dressing rooms are labeled up with the acts we'll all enjoy later - others are open and I peek into a throng of activity in the hair and make up department.

I press on quickly to get to the front of house by which time a queue had started to form at the front which brides, grooms and their friends and families waiting to come in.   There was a real sense of occasion - we just needed the red carpets (I write that to see if they will be rolled out next time).
Don't get cold waiting outside at the January show pre-register on our website for queue jump!
The crowd were all on very good form - that's what I love about all things wedding there is always a sense of joy around.
Finally the clock strikes 10 and the doors are flung open and a steady stream of excited brides and grooms (ok maybe not as excited as the brides, but it is Sunday morning!) flow in.
A whole floor of baby blue goodie bags are collected as they pass through and head on into the show.
250 Goodie Bags were given out by 1pm!
The natural flow takes people up the stairs - with the light flooding in through the vast glass walls on this fine day.
Music drifts down from up on high filling the space and my head follows it up - I notice some wonderful lights!  
Whilst I know I'm going to get to shoot loads of brides today or those sporting Bridal wear to be precise I do very much hope to return to shoot a real wedding here its a great location - nothing beats those natural, candid real shots of joy you can capture at a wedding.
The excited crowd rush to chat to various wedding vendors throughout the theatre I head into the theatre itself to get a birds eye perspective on all the action in the main auditorium.
It's not long before the first event starts up on the main stage - the first of three bridal fashion shows. I observe from the upper circle to soak up the entire scene first before moving down for a closer vantage point.
It's not just one bridal house but many - presenting a great array of the latest bridal fashions.  And yes groom fashions too (thank you).  The highlight for me was the Venetian masks used in one of the bridal parades - very theatrical (very happy to shoot a wedding in Venice if anyone is asking!)

 
After the first show I had the opportunity to wander around and see all the exhibitors - great to meet all the familiar faces and a few new ones.

My fellow photographers were busy chatting with potential clients and whilst my commercial head said I was missing out, I was enjoying capturing all the action and I'm sure their creative sides would rather being taking the pictures.
All the usual suspects were there along with a lot more!  I captured some great dance, lovely music and lots more fashion throughout the afternoon.
Flower Arranging with Signature Flowers by Emma Newman
Make Up Demonstration from Feel Beautiful
Makeup, flowers, cake decorating demonstrations were on in the theatres second space and walking a bit further on (which I'm sure not many did) I came across a smaller space ideal for a more intimate ceremony or those whom just don't want to marry on the boards!
Small Ceremony Room
VIP bar, Champagne and the roulette wheel were a level up and I had the pleasure of meeting a beautiful bride in all her wedding finery and had been beautifully made up by Natasha and sporting some amazing sparkly Hena by Pam.
Beautiful Asian Make Up Demonstration from Make Up Artist Boutique
A very quick break for water and a banana to keep me going and I was back exploring the theatre and all that was on.   One couple were feeding each other chocolates at one of the stalls - love it.  
 
A bridesmaid’s fashion show preceded another airing of the grand bridal fashion show and I took the opportunity to view it from some different angles - which gave me a great vantage point of back stage and the action with the packed theatre behind.  

The last event of the day was well attended and after the initial reluctance of the audience to come forward Kandie kisses gave everyone an insight into her world.
Gentle Visions Photography
Please join me on facebook http://on.fb.me/lovephotography
Tring based Reportage Style Wedding Photographer

‘Fun behind the scenes’

No comments:

Popular Posts