Monday 4 June 2012

'A Week in the Life of...' Signature Flowers by Emma Newman - Day 1

This week our guest blogging journey takes us in the art of flowers.  I had the pleasure of first meeting Emma from Signature Flower by Emma Newman last year and before I had even had the opportunity to view her work I was already taken with her attitude and focus to achieve something rare for florist - her Master Diploma.  Her dedication to achieving more, learning and growing as both an individual and a business woman I felt was inspiring and this week it is my pleasure to give you an insight into her world...

 

Signature Flowers was born in late 2010 at the same time as I began my Level 4 qualification in floristry.  I am fortunate enough to have been brought up surrounded by beautiful  plants and fresh flowers as my parents own a horticultural nursery and  my passion developed from a young age! I now have a studio based at the nursery and can often be found out and about on the nursery with a pair of scissors and a bucket of freshly picked flowers to incorporate into my work.

At the end of year 12 I left school and went to college to study my National Diploma in floristry in which I got a triple distinction.  Along the way I also entered two national competitions, winning one and coming second in the heat that I did of the UK Skills Challenge.  At the end of this course I was taken on full time by my placement provider and was given lots of experience and opportunities. After two years it was time to move on and do something more challenging so I accepted the job of a florist manager at a bigger shop, in a busy town. The experience I gained in my twelve months here was invaluable and I eventually decided it was time to go it alone, so Signature Flowers was born.
For the first year I didn't actively go about getting business as I was still studying for my Level 4 qualification, once a week at Berkshire College.  However by doing weddings for friends and in the village I soon began to build a reputation and get a small following on social networking sites.

Credit:  Paul L Cox Photography
I decided to put my foot on the throttle in October 2011 when advertising and wedding fairs became a priority and this is also when I joined Ice the Cake, since joining I have had lots of great opportunities taking part in networking events and working with others on photoshoots. In September 2011 I began my Master Diploma in floristry with renowned tutor Tina Parkes, on completion of this course in January 2013, I will be one of the first 100 English Master Florists.

Wedding work is my favourite type of work, as every wedding is so individual to the couple, I endeavour to capture your dreams, and turn them into arrangements and bouquets you will remember for ever.




Contact Signature Flowers by Emma Newman:
Location: Buckinghamshire
Telephone: 07894283255
Email: info@signature-flowers.co.uk
Website: www.signature-flowers.co.uk



.

No comments:

Popular Posts